Saturday 5 May 2012
17:15 (local time), Veszprem Arena, Hungary
Final, First Leg: Győri Audi ETO KC vs. Budućnost

Sunday 13 May 2012
19:00 (local time), S.C. Moraca, Podgorica, Montenegro
Final, Second Leg: Budućnost vs. Győri Audi ETO KC

EHFCL.com

Greetings from Germany

"The best is yet to come": Barack Obama (06.11.12) quotes Holly Lam-Moores (30.07.12)

Extra Member

Re: EHF CL - Finals

Postby 123123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:53 am

This is gonna be awesome!

Looking through this CL competition there's no doubt this is the "morally" deserved final! Both teams have been outstanding throughout the season and it's a real luxery that we get this match for the final.

Looking through the recent (90's-today) history of CL, both Buducnost and Györ are by far among the "classic" teams who both deserves the title, in my opinion. Buducnost have been in CL longer, but Györ have been just as impressive in their shorter span.

Buducnost have been in 5 consecutive CL semifinales in the period of 97/98 - 01/02 and in total they've been in 7 CL semifinales over the last ~15 years. Of these 7 times they've reached the final once.

Györ have been in 6 consecutive CL semifinales in as recent a period as possible, 06/07-11/12. Of these 6 times they've been in the final twice.

So both history wise and from what they've delivered this season, both teams certainly deserve the title!

Györ have also been very impressive in areas where most handball clubs have failed hard. Here I think financially. Györ was probably the third or second strongest team in Hungary only ~6-7 years ago and they managed to flourish before, during and after the financial crisis hitting hard on the sport within the same time period! Györ didn't flourish because of the crisis, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they manage to keep on improving while everyone else seemed to struggle, at a time where they had already proven they were now among top 4-5 in the world.

Maybe in the previous seasons of Györs success, there were always at least one competitor, which were expected to be stronger than everyone else (Slagelse, Hypo/Viborg, Larvik/Buducnost), but this season Györ have proven they're worthy of being considered the strongest team. They've made brilliant signings while still keeping lots of already incredible good players. If they can keep this team together, I'm certain many CL titles awaits them in the future.

Buducnost have likewise made a brilliant signing in Woltering. I think her impact on the team speaks for itself and with their world class game play and players, Buducnost have been close to invincible in this years CL, even in matches where they didn't play well.

Personally, I cheer for Buducnost, eventhough I think both teams deserve the title equally much.
I have a lot of sympathy with this team, their players and especially Popovic and considering this might be her final season, I hope Buducnost gets to lift the trophy this season, on home field none the less. While Györ on the other hand will probably claim the trophy soon enough anyway.
Most of all, I hope for a final with world class play and close encounters that lives up to the expectations we have of these two great teams.

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:16 pm

123123 wrote:This is gonna be awesome!

Hi Barney! :D This gonna be Legendary!!! :p

Very good summary by the way! Some comments:

I'm fed up with this: "Győr will win the title NEXT year"! Seriously, we (Hungarians) believe this in every season since 2006 and we always failed. No next years, I want it now, immediately! :lol:
About the future titles: three things are official in Győr: Pálinger will resign and Gros, Böhn leave! Vérten will probably leave too so we need pivot, goalkeeper, left wingS, left back, right back. And there are only rumours about Hungarian talents, I'm not sure we can win titles easily in the future. This is our time!!!
MKB Veszprém -- Anita Görbicz -- Győri Audi ETO KC -- Hungary

Necros

Postby Necros » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:18 pm

123123 wrote:Györ have also been very impressive in areas where most handball clubs have failed hard. Here I think financially. Györ was probably the third or second strongest team in Hungary only ~6-7 years ago and they managed to flourish before, during and after the financial crisis hitting hard on the sport within the same time period! Györ didn't flourish because of the crisis, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they manage to keep on improving while everyone else seemed to struggle, at a time where they had already proven they were now among top 4-5 in the world.

Their management is doing a great job, but they wouldn't be where they are now without Audi's sponsorship. They built the team up very well before Audi joined and they were strong, no doubt about that, but many other teams here aren't so lucky to have all that support. (I hope Fradi keeps imroving in this area too, so we can become a top CL team again.)

About the finals... I have no idea what will happen. Both teams are very strong, nuances may decide who'll win. Buducnost has two advantages though, the atmosphere in their arena, and I think they might be mentally stronger.

But I hope Győr will win! Go ETO!

Galpa wrote:About the future titles: three things are official in Győr: Pálinger will resign and Gros, Böhn leave! Vérten will probably leave too so we need pivot, goalkeeper, left wingS, left back, right back. And there are only rumours about Hungarian talents, I'm not sure we can win titles easily in the future. This is our time!!!

I think the new coach will be much better. And I'm sure Győr is looking at other players too, not just Hungarians, we just don't know about them yet.
<- Zizi - 1000 goals (2010.01.27.) and counting! 8:) - Go Fradi! Image
12x Hungarian Champion, 3x Cup Winner's Cup winner & 1x EHF Cup winner, 2x Champion's League finalist, 2x CWC runner-up, 12x Hungarian Cup winner.

Mr. 007
Men's WC 2011 Fantasy game winner

Postby Mr. 007 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:29 pm

It will be one helluva final, really looking forward to it :)

No favorites here, wide open 50:50, but I will cheer most for Gyor though :)

Extra Member

Postby 123123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Galpa wrote:
123123 wrote:This is gonna be awesome!

Hi Barney! :D This gonna be Legendary!!! :p

Indeed, and my name is not Barney.:p

Galpa wrote:Very good summary by the way!

Tanks you! :)
I am sorry to hear that Palinger is leaving Györ, I didn't know this. I'm surprised she doesn't get more playing time in that case, I always imagined Györ as one of the teams which treasures the players who've been part of their team for so long.

If it goes way downhill, you could probably "just" sign some of the danish players, the clubs are almost always in financial troubles anyway and don't seem more interested in firing coaches than renewing contracts with their players. :lol:

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 am

123123 wrote:I am sorry to hear that Palinger is leaving Györ, I didn't know this. I'm surprised she doesn't get more playing time in that case, I always imagined Györ as one of the teams which treasures the players who've been part of their team for so long.

If it goes way downhill, you could probably "just" sign some of the danish players, the clubs are almost always in financial troubles anyway and don't seem more interested in firing coaches than renewing contracts with their players. :lol:

She will finish her magnificent career at the end of the season. :cry: It's well-known for a while. It's not the club who treats her this way. This is Böhn who clearly favours Lunde since he arrived. During the Konkoly era they received equal playing time. I hope she will play in the final, these will be her last CL matches, deserves much much more respect. :roll: (Btw she was better in autumn than Lunde and she was better against Oltchim on the first leg so I don't really understand why she doesn't get the chance...)

Győr wanted to sign Leynaud but she refused the offer. According to rumours Herr will come back from Siófok and/or a youngster.

Esik
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Esik » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:34 am

Galpa wrote: Pálinger will resign

you mean retire.;)

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 am

Esik wrote:
Galpa wrote: Pálinger will resign

you mean retire.;)

Yes, sorry! I think I managed to clarify it in my previous post! ;)

treideca44
Extra Member

Postby treideca44 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:49 am

Hmmm, Oltchim played with the both teams and I felt Buducnost much better than Gyor. (and Buducnost humiliated our team without referees)
With referees corectly I think that Buducnost will win (in my vision is the best).

Good Luck Buducnost
Good Luck Gyor

I bet on Buducnost !

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:46 pm

A very very important initiative.
CL matches are broadcasted in Hungary by Sports channels DigiSport and DigiSport Plus (they both belong to the same company and have a common staff). I myself have an access to these channels but their coverage is under 20% in Hungary so that only a small minority is able to watch CL games in television.
Now Hungarian Handball Federation (MKSZ) and the clubs of Veszprém and Szeged (both male) and Győr (female) wrote a request to EHF in order to break the contract of DigiSport and provide broadcasting rights to Hungarian state television or any other tv channel that has a wide coverage.
Some data: in February the games of Hungarian male NT in ECh had approx. 1.5 million spectators in TV while CL games have 100-300,000 which is obviously because they are broadcasted by a channel having a small coverage.
The request is about CL generally but first of all CL finals of this year.

My additional notes: I totally agree but I'm sad that FTC is not asked to cooperate: CWC finals, too, will be broadcasted in DigiSport.
In conclusion, I declare that EHF must be destroyed

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Actually this request has a very strange relation: DigiSport is an important sponsor of Győr so now the club attacks one of its sponsors...

Stefan_MNE
Champions League 2010/2011; 2011/2012 and European Championship 2012 Fantasy Game Winner

Postby Stefan_MNE » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Germanicus wrote:Hungarian Handball Federation (MKSZ) and the clubs of Veszprém and Szeged (both male) and Győr (female) wrote a request to EHF in order to break the contract of DigiSport and provide broadcasting rights to Hungarian state television or any other tv channel that has a wide coverage.

I don't believe Digi Sport will agree to this without substantial compensation.

The same goes for Montenegro - cable TV Arena Sport bought the rights to broadcast EHF CL matches in MNE, but I'd say the coverage is somewhat higher, around 50%.
Incidentally, I don't have this TV station on my cable TV, so I usually have to watch Budućnost's away matches at a friend of mine's place. :)

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Germanicus wrote:Actually this request has a very strange relation: DigiSport is an important sponsor of Győr so now the club attacks one of its sponsors...

Maybe they decided to protest for their other sponsors (incl. Audi) who won't prolong their sponsorship with the club if its matches are broadcasted by a small chanel.

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Stefan_MNE wrote:
Germanicus wrote:Hungarian Handball Federation (MKSZ) and the clubs of Veszprém and Szeged (both male) and Győr (female) wrote a request to EHF in order to break the contract of DigiSport and provide broadcasting rights to Hungarian state television or any other tv channel that has a wide coverage.

The same goes for Montenegro - cable TV Arena Sport bought the rights to broadcast EHF CL matches in MNE, but I'd say the coverage is somewhat higher, around 50%.
Incidentally, I don't have this TV station on my cable TV, so I usually have to watch Budućnost's away matches at a friend of mine's place. :)

This is just one of EHF's stupidities... They have never cared about fans' interests. Only money...

haandboldspiller
Extra Member

Postby haandboldspiller » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Galpa wrote:
Stefan_MNE wrote:

This is just one of EHF's stupidities... They have never cared about fans' interests. Only money...

But if you want to support the club and sport ou should actually pay for this channel. Obvious they pay more than the national channel are willing to.

Extra Member

Postby 123123 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm

I think you're overlooking the blatantly obvious issue. Though I don't know the details, I imagine this tv station was also from before getting the rights for the CL transmissions a channel not many had access to.

Unless the channel revealed a realistic and working plan for how a lot of hungarians were going to be able to recieve their signal, I think EHF, or whoever sold the rights, is obviously to blame. It does not matter if they pay a gazillion bucks more, because those money are only for the duration of the contract, while the damage to the sport can last many years beyond that.

Any kind of entertainment is dependent of people to be entertained/interested. Less people able to watch means less people interested, which means less interest from sponsors, which makes it even harder to broadcast the given type of entertainment.

It's not a question of losing handball fans, or handball fans not willing to pay for the channel. I think it's a question about the average person, who might would have enjoyed watching these games, will not be able to and therefore the interest in the sport will decline.
Of course it's also bad manners towards the handball fans who don't need to be forced to buy all kind of transmissions just because EHF doesn't care who they sell their product to.
It's at times like these I think Andersen was right when she revealed thoughts about independence from EHF, if I remember correct.

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 pm

A bit OFF
[quote="123123"][/quote]
Exactly, it will cause damages in Hungary long-term what we can not predict now. Less sponsors, decreasing popularity are awaiting in the future. EHF does not care about this, Digi TV offered more money, that's all.

Men's EC was watched by 1,5 Million people on the state chanel while 175 thousands followed Veszprém-Leon CL 1/8 final on Digisport. This creates a very hard situation for the clubs.

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:36 pm

EHF forced DigiSport to share broadcasting to any channel in Hungary which has a wide coverage. Of course DigiSport is allowed to request for a financial compensation.

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 am

Veszprém Aréna is sold out for the first leg, Győr announced that more than 15,000 tickets were claimed but only 5,100 could be sold. Buducnost claimed for 500 tickets and all of them were sold in Montenegro.

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:12 am

Does anyone know the regaulations? What does happen if Győr wins CL and Ferencváros wins Hungarian league? OK, I know, there are not too good chances for such a situation (Győr is much better than FTC), but it may happen so that I think there must be a regulation for that.

Extra Member

Postby 123123 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 am

I'm not certain on the reason for your question, so I'll try to guess at what you're hinting at.

Unless rules have changed since ~2010 when Viborg won both CL and the danish league, I'm quite confident that Hungary will get 3 teams in CL should what you describe happen. The same applies if Györ wins both CL and the hungarian league.

Someone with more knowledge on the topic will probably either correct my statement or confirm it.

It's a bit "funny" though, that if we assume Györ wins CL, then finally Hungary gets to have 3 CL participants at the time when there's no longer 3 very strong teams, only 2, as I see it. :p

Edit: If your question was regarding who'll begin in group play and who'll have to play qual for group play, then I'm quite confident (looking back at the Slagelse and Viborg era) that both teams will begin in group play. :)

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:35 am

123123 wrote:It's a bit "funny" though, that if we assume Györ wins CL, then finally Hungary gets to have 3 CL participants at the time when there's no longer 3 very strong teams, only 2, as I see it. :p

Indeed but Norway had 3 participants this season as well. Érd or Siófok wouldn't be worse than Tertnes Bergen in the qualification.

Btw if FTC and Győr win the titles then we can get about 8 places in international club championships. (Veszprém is 6th now and imagine Győr II (youth and junior) will take over their place and ticket to ehf cup next season! :D )

But I guess Buducnost and Viborg will try to prevent us from these problems! :p

Galpa
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Galpa » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am

123123 wrote:Edit: If your question was regarding who'll begin in group play and who'll have to play qual for group play, then I'm quite confident (looking back at the Slagelse and Viborg era) that both teams will begin in group play. :)

I think this is what he wanted to ask. :)

One example:

Zvezada won CL, Lada won Russian league. Both could play in the group stage next season while Dinamo was in the qualification.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:54 am

Galpa wrote:
123123 wrote:It's a bit "funny" though, that if we assume Györ wins CL, then finally Hungary gets to have 3 CL participants at the time when there's no longer 3 very strong teams, only 2, as I see it. :p

Indeed but Norway had 3 participants this season as well. Érd or Siófok wouldn't be worse than Tertnes Bergen in the qualification.

Érd or Siofók, who cares! Imagine that the 2nd team from Montenegrin league will receive the chance to show its possibilities among the stars. ;)

Return to “Female Handball”