Foreign languages

Anything But Handball Here
Corbantis
Extra Member

Re: Foreign languages

Postby Corbantis » Tue May 28, 2013 3:50 pm

barry.romania wrote:your father is Spanish, Corbantis?

No, I am 100% Hungarian :)

william
Regular

Postby william » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:52 pm

I am a big fan of languages. Started in school with Russian and Englisch. Then I studied and worked in China and Japan.
Couple of years ago I learned spanish. At the moment I am learning crotian. I want to read handball articles from the balkan. I thought it would be easier since I know russian. but it seems that I can only trace around 10 Percent of the words to russian. For me is first important to be able to read. speaking is another matter. If I don't travel to these countries then I also don't focus on speaking. In the future I want to become fluent in french and portuguese, which I can more or less read already due my spanish. And if you might wonder if I am freak who studied japanese I can tell you that japanese is the best way to realize how close european languages are, especially the latin based ones. In Bulgaria you can speak russian and people will get what you want to say. The scandinavian languages are not that for from my mother tongue German. When reading texts I get at least the content what the write about.

Marko Mare
Regular

Postby Marko Mare » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Montenegrian( so it means I also know Serbian,Croatian,Bosnian and can understand half of Slovenian and 80 % of Macedonian)
English: very good
Russian: moderately good,not so great
Italian: very very bad :(

Kitsich
Rookie

Postby Kitsich » Fri May 22, 2015 9:05 am

Marko Mare wrote:Montenegrian( so it means I also know Serbian,Croatian,Bosnian(

And the Serbian and Croatian languages are very different? You can tell if a person knows Croatian, he understands and Serbian spoken language?
Not all that glitters is gold: idiom examples.The richness of the English language can be seen in Oxford and Cambridge. Learn idioms, become brighter.

jensm
Handball Fan-atic

Postby jensm » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:24 am

How similar is Russian and Bulgarian?
And Russian - Macedonian language?
:D

mikh
Handball Fan-atic

Postby mikh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:19 pm

jensm wrote:How similar is Russian and Bulgarian?

As a foreigner, not fluent in any of these languages and based only on my experiences around native speakers of these languages I noticed that Russians have little difficulties in understanding Bulgarian (not sure about speaking). Bulgarian and Macedonian are very close and I think there's a good degree of understanding between them. Not sure how does it go the other way around, i.e. Macedonians and Bulgarians understanding or speaking Russian, but I think they are managing pretty decently.

Maybe some of our Balkan colleagues here can give us a better idea.

Synchrony
Regular

Postby Synchrony » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:17 am

As a native Macedonian speaker I'm not able to understand Russian apart from a couple of words which are the same or very similar in both languages.

matt_
Rookie

Postby matt_ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:35 pm

At the moment, I can only speak Polish (my first language), English (advanced level) some-what Russian and I started learning Italian recently. Hope I'll succeed :D

Slavic languages are divided into few groups:
East Slavic: Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian
South Slavic: Serbian, Croatian, Slovene, Macedonian, Bosnian, Montenegrin, Bulgarian
West Slavic: Polish, Czech, Slovak

All of Slavic languages share some similarities, but generally they're unique, so Russian person can't understand Macedonian without a problem (and vice versa) ;)

Return to “Off Topic”