Asian Championships

Talking about FEMALE handball in the World
John Ryan
Regular

Asian Championships

Postby John Ryan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:33 am

http://www.ihf.info/front_content.php?i ... idart=1598

The draw for this tournament is somewhat bizarre. My understanding is that 4 Asian teams will qualify for the 2009 WC in China.

One bracket has 3 of the best 4 teams: S Korea, Japan, and Kazakhstan. The other bracket has China, but since they are hosting the World Championship they've already qualified.

I'm guessing the format is such that the top 2 teams will qualify for the semifinals. This means that a pretty weak team from China's group (Thailand, India, Qatar, or Vietnam) will head to the World Championship.

Does anybody know why the draw was set up this way?

doomark
Handball Fan-atic

Re: Asian Championships

Postby doomark » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:26 am

John Ryan wrote:http://www.ihf.info/front_content.php?idcat=57&idart=1598

The draw for this tournament is somewhat bizarre. My understanding is that 4 Asian teams will qualify for the 2009 WC in China.

One bracket has 3 of the best 4 teams: S Korea, Japan, and Kazakhstan. The other bracket has China, but since they are hosting the World Championship they've already qualified.

I'm guessing the format is such that the top 2 teams will qualify for the semifinals. This means that a pretty weak team from China's group (Thailand, India, Qatar, or Vietnam) will head to the World Championship.

Does anybody know why the draw was set up this way?

to help small countries developing?!? :?

haandboldspiller
Extra Member

Postby haandboldspiller » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:07 am

It's probably Qatar, who wants to get a chance of qualifying

itwas82
Extra Member

Postby itwas82 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:40 pm

Nobody knows...

itwas82
Extra Member

Postby itwas82 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Results of Group Matches

[Group A]
1. Korea 4-0
2. Japan 3-1
---------------------
3. Kazakhstan 2-2
4. Iran 1-3
5. Uzbekistan 0-4

[Group B]
1. China 4-0
2. Thailand 3-1
------------------
3-5. Vietam, India, Qatar (not confirmed yet)

=> Semi-finals will be Korea-Thailand and China-Japan on Friday.

P.S. In case you are interested in the scores, you can check it here (even though it is so much delayed...)
http://www.asianhandball.com/menu/Chapmionships/drawwomenthai.htm

doomark
Handball Fan-atic

Postby doomark » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:16 pm

itwas82 wrote:Results of Group Matches

[Group A]
1. Korea 4-0
2. Japan 3-1
---------------------
3. Kazakhstan 2-2
4. Iran 1-3
5. Uzbekistan 0-4

[Group B]
1. China 4-0
2. Thailand 3-1
------------------
3-5. Vietam, India, Qatar (not confirmed yet)

=> Semi-finals will be Korea-Thailand and China-Japan on Friday.

P.S. In case you are interested in the scores, you can check it here (even though it is so much delayed...)
http://www.asianhandball.com/menu/Chapmionships/drawwomenthai.htm

So, it means Thailand at WCh?!? Besides China (organizer) three nations at WCh, right? Correct me, if I´m wrong.

Joppe

Postby Joppe » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:44 am

There will be 5. teams from Asia. China as organizer, South Korea by former histroical results, Thailand and Japan as semifinalists, and the last spot is between Kazakhstan and Vietnam (should by easy win for the "Borat" girls :lol: )

meteo
Handball Fan-atic

Postby meteo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:36 am

South Korea even got his spot in this tournament. Because of the historical result of Korea at Wch 2007 one more spot goes to the asian federation. But in the end it doesn't really matter. No one is able to compete with korea in a serious way in asia.
Greetings from Germany

"The best is yet to come": Barack Obama (06.11.12) quotes Holly Lam-Moores (30.07.12)

John Ryan
Regular

Postby John Ryan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:36 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/1 ... index.html

Are there any news reports about the impact of unrest in Thailand and it's impact to the tournament? I guess it's a good thing they don't have to fly out for few days yet.

Also, I saw this news item on the Iranian women's team. http://www.payvand.com/news/08/nov/1263.html
I assume they are playing fully covered at the tournament. Certainly a handicap, but at least they are being allowed to play. Does the Qatar team wear similar uniforms?
John Ryan, Editor (www.teamhandballnews.com)

itwas82
Extra Member

Postby itwas82 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:53 pm

John Ryan wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/27/thailand.protests.airport.ap/index.html

Are there any news reports about the impact of unrest in Thailand and it's impact to the tournament? I guess it's a good thing they don't have to fly out for few days yet.

Also, I saw this news item on the Iranian women's team. http://www.payvand.com/news/08/nov/1263.html
I assume they are playing fully covered at the tournament. Certainly a handicap, but at least they are being allowed to play. Does the Qatar team wear similar uniforms?

Maybe the participants will have to use other airports, but no reported impact to the tournament itself.

P.S. Qatar also wears similar uniforms.
(Some photos from the last youth championship in Slovakia)
http://www.world2008.sk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=1

itwas82
Extra Member

Postby itwas82 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:19 pm

Final standings of the tournament.

1. Korea
2. China
3. Japan
4. Thailand
5. Kazakhstan
6. Vietnam
7. Iran
8. India
9. Ukbetistan
10 Qatar

For Korea, it was a positive sign for future days as core player from Beijing like Oh Seong-ok, Oh Young-ran (retired from the national team), Huh Soon-young, Choi Im-jeong (didn't participate), and Park Chung-hee (not selected from the new coach) were absent.

However, there were still the 'chronic' problems of Asian handball. According to the correspondent to Thailand, there were still controversial calls from middle-east referees and those were the reasons why we struggled against Kazakhstan and the first half against China. (In this tournament, there were no neutral referees from IHF and there were no broadcast either.)

It seems Asian handball is still shrouded by fog...

doomark
Handball Fan-atic

Postby doomark » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Thanks for the infor! Who is your new coach, what do we need to know about him and how did the Hypo girls perform? Has Bok-hee Myoung been called to participate? How did Kim play?

Thanks for the answers!

itwas82
Extra Member

Postby itwas82 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:02 pm

doomark wrote:Thanks for the infor! Who is your new coach, what do we need to know about him and how did the Hypo girls perform? Has Bok-hee Myoung been called to participate? How did Kim play?

Thanks for the answers!

1. New coach : Lee Jae-young (I guess he is not known so much in international level)

As a club coach, he is the winningest coach in domestic tournaments. As national team coach, he had some success in Asian level once in the late 90s and once more in the early 2000s. However, he hasn't have much success in world level. This will be his third try and hopefully will be a charm.

(Actually, he hasn't have much chance in world level. Only one Wch and zero Olympics. Some say it's because he is sort of a'maverick' - it doesn't mean he is eccentric or what, but he just doesn't belong to any 'faction' in Korean handball politics...)

2. Hypo girls

I couldn't watch their play as there was no broadcast. I couldn't even check their stats as Korean newspapers don't carry the handball stats. Here are just some comments from the articles.

1) Myoung : She was the oldest on the team(29 years old). She scored 8 goals against Japan and 6 goals against Thailand.
2) Kim : Coach said Kim played the core role in defense. But because of this, it seems that she was the 'target' of the referees. She got a direct red card against Kazakhstan and also a questionable 2 minute during China's rally in the final.

meteo
Handball Fan-atic

Postby meteo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:05 pm

anything mentioned that Prokop stopped paying salaries to the players while they are at a national team?
Greetings from Germany

"The best is yet to come": Barack Obama (06.11.12) quotes Holly Lam-Moores (30.07.12)

doomark
Handball Fan-atic

Postby doomark » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:22 pm

itwas82 wrote:2. Hypo girls

I couldn't watch their play as there was no broadcast. I couldn't even check their stats as Korean newspapers don't carry the handball stats. Here are just some comments from the articles.

1) Myoung : She was the oldest on the team(29 years old). She scored 8 goals against Japan and 6 goals against Thailand.
2) Kim : Coach said Kim played the core role in defense. But because of this, it seems that she was the 'target' of the referees. She got a direct red card against Kazakhstan and also a questionable 2 minute during China's rally in the final.

Many thanks for all those answers!

haandballstroll
Handball Fan-atic

Postby haandballstroll » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:59 pm

And how was An and Rim playing? I guess now they overtake Oh's role. :)

itwas82
Extra Member

Postby itwas82 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:31 pm

haandballstroll wrote:And how was An and Rim playing? I guess now they overtake Oh's role. :)

Yup. According to the articles, Song Hai-rim and Kim On-a shared the playmaker role. Our coach was quoted as saying that Song almost regained her shot and he was satisfied with both of them.

haandballstroll
Handball Fan-atic

Postby haandballstroll » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:40 pm

itwas82 wrote:
haandballstroll wrote:And how was An and Rim playing? I guess now they overtake Oh's role. :)

Yup. According to the articles, Song Hai-rim and Kim On-a shared the playmaker role. Our coach was quoted as saying that Song almost regained her shot and he was satisfied with both of them.

Im sure these 2 girls will play the first fiolin in the team and will make all opponents very disapointed. :) I would love to see them both playing but guess it is impossible maybe before next year. :(

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Oceania Women's Championships 2016, Game #1:

Australia def. New Zealand 26-12 (14:5)

Rematch planned for tomorrow. Winner, and that's new, is not directly qualified for the WCh (Germany, December 2017), but advances to Asian Women's Championships (South Korea, March 2017) first.

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Wbk wrote:Winner, and that's new, is not directly qualified for the WCh

No, actually it is not new, in 2015, too, was it so.
In conclusion, I declare that EHF must be destroyed

doomark
Handball Fan-atic

Postby doomark » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:09 pm

Germanicus wrote:

Yeah, but this is the first time as far as I know that Australia has to go through qualification in Asia.

Wbk
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Wbk » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Wbk wrote:Oceania Women's Championships 2016, Game #1:

Australia def. New Zealand 26-12 (14:5)

Rematch planned for tomorrow. Winner, and that's new, is not directly qualified for the WCh (Germany, December 2017), but advances to Asian Women's Championships (South Korea, March 2017) first.

Australia def. New Zealand 31-11 in the rematch => Australia qualified for the 2017 Asian Women's Championships.

Germanicus wrote:No, actually it is not new, in 2015, too, was it so.

The champion of Oceania will play at Asian Champs first time in history in women's category (this system was already used for men for France 2017).
In the qualification cycle for the 2015 WCh in Denmark, Oceanian Women's Championships did not take place, because Australia was the only team registered for the competition. They, as the Oceanian representative, earned a spot at the newly formed additional intercontinental WCh qualification (played in Kazakhstan in June 2015).

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:35 pm

doomark wrote:
Germanicus wrote:

Yeah, but this is the first time as far as I know that Australia has to go through qualification in Asia.

Actually the intercontinental qualification of 2015 was held in Asia as well ;-)

Germanicus
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Germanicus » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:36 pm

Wbk wrote:The champion of Oceania will play at Asian Champs first time in history in women's category (this system was already used for men for France 2017).
In the qualification cycle for the 2015 WCh in Denmark, Oceanian Women's Championships did not take place, because Australia was the only team registered for the competition. They, as the Oceanian representative, earned a spot at the newly formed additional intercontinental WCh qualification (played in Kazakhstan in June 2015).

Thanks for correcting me. I only remembered that they had to play qualification in Asia, but you're right, it was not Asian Championship/Qualification but intercontinental.

williamn123
Rookie

Postby williamn123 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Does anyone know what is up with Kazakhstan handball? What kind of team will they send to the Asian handball championship march 2017? Only Kazakh players or also naturalised Russian players?

Return to “Female Handball”