Champions League 2015/16 - Quarterfinals

Talking about FEMALE handball in the World
Danie

Champions League 2015/16 - Quarterfinals

Postby Danie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:47 pm

So... we have one for sure (Rostov Don v CSM București) and the rest of them to be set only after the completion of the 6th round. The most probable case (in my opinion) is the following:

Budućnost v HCM
Larvik v Vardar
Győr v FTC

Danie

Re: Champions League 2015/16 - Quarterfinals

Postby Danie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:54 pm

And some interesting stats:

Two teams from Hungary, two from Romania, two from ex-Yugoslavia, one from Russia and one from Norway. That would be six from Eastern Europe, one from Euroasia and one from Scandinavia.

Danie

Postby Danie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Danie wrote:The most probable case (in my opinion) is the following:

Budućnost v HCM
Larvik v Vardar
Győr v FTC

Checked! ;)

John
:::Handball Expert:::

Postby John » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:31 am

Budućnost vs HCM Baia Mare 70%-30%
Larvik vs Vardar 50%-50%
Győr vs FTC 65%-35%
Rostov Don vs CSM București 50%-50%

Budućnost won't have it easy in Romania, but in Morača Baia Mare has no chance. The player i fear most is Paula Ungureanu.
Ježić has no chance against our defense, the quartet Cvijić-Lazović-Achruk-Raičević will eat her alive :D Without Melinda Geiger will be hard for them, and i'm sure the defense will put pressure on Pineau. So Budućnost a clear favorite for me, but Baia Mare will fight hard.

I gave Larvik and Vardar equal chances even though i thought Vardar was favorite. It's quite simple, if Vardar doesn't make a lot of turnovers and technical fouls that Larvik can use for FB they will win. Also Vardar will need a better scoring percentage, since Larvik is also using that as something they can profit on. We will see how will Tine Stange perform, with her in shape like in two last matches Larvik got another player for scoring besides Mork.

Győr is favorite IMO but FTC beat them several times in the past 2 years. FTC will need Zacsik to play better. But, Gorbe will be back, Loke is unstoppable (only one team can stop her :D ), and Győr will have almost a month to prepare (a lot of their players will be there since most of them don't play the OG qualifications). FTC will also have the same amount of time, but this break will be better for Győr since they are not on their usual level (they are strong but are stronger than what are currently displaying).

Finally the duel between the most annoying team of this year (EHF made them annoying with their articles and videos how they are unstoppable, unbeatable bla bla and they played with weak team and underperforming teams) Rostov and ĆE SE ME. I gave them equal chances because of Lunde, otherwise i would say ĆE SE ME is favorite. Jorgensen will be back, they will be stronger with her, maybe they will lose in Russia but will beat them at home in Romania (unless they play without ideas like they did in MR).

Kiddo
Extra Member

Postby Kiddo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:55 am

Budućnost v HCM
Larvik v Vardar
Győr v FTC
CSM v Rostov

Buducnost, safe win. HCM will give them a fight for their spot, but I do think B is one of the 4 contenders for the title.

Larvik vs Vardar, I think Larvik is slightly stronger over 2 matches. It will be a close one. Woijtas, Hammerseng-Edin and Riglehuth Koren might be ready for Larvik for this match!

Györ vs FTC is open to me. FTC is one point above Györ in their Hungarian league, both strong teams. Great match for the QF.

CSM vs Rostov, don´t get your memo "most annoying teams". Rostov have shown spectacular handball over their matches. Ilina has bloomed in these matches. Lunde just happens to be the best GK there is on the women side, which is essential for any team. I think Györ would have been favourites if they kept Lunde, but that did´t happen. CSM is a strong contender. Gulden can pull an entire team to victory.

However, this might be the strongest final 8 in a long time. Many close matches. May great teams! This will be exciting!

John
:::Handball Expert:::

Postby John » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 am

Kiddo wrote:don´t get your memo "most annoying teams"

Not teamS but teaM.. Singular. I can't say Rostov is spectacular and unstoppable because they played with a not very good Larvik and underperforming Baia Mare, weak opponents like THC and Fleury and hot/cold FTC. I would like to see them in a group with Budućnost, Gyor, Vardar and CSM, to see how strong, unstoppable and unbeatable they are. Congratulations to Ilina but i would like to see her against much stronger defenses (not counting the 7m goals).

dydiana
Extra Member

Postby dydiana » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:08 am

Buducnost vs HCM Baia Mare

I don't want to make high hopes, but I do think HCM will fight with their hearts for this..Buducnost is Buducnost and I have a soft spot for them. They are playing all together for at least 2 years so they know eachother very well,which helps a lot.They have that "fighter" attitude, they mostly have the perfect defense and an attack who every other team fears.Sometimes they have bad days and weaker games,but that doesn't happen very often at all so I don't think it will in the quarters..they had the ease to do this in Main round,but this is the real deal and they can't lose,as much as I wish for my team to win.
Buducnost will have Lazovic back who is helpful in defense and also Radmila will return,I think..we don't have Geiger,but I don't see that as a fatal minus.We have a weak coach but the girls will pull it off on their own anyway :)

Larvik vs Vardar

To me neither of them were consistent in Main round to start as favorite. Even though Vardar visibly changed and improved in the last games,they can't go by finalists for sure.It's pretty even both ways,Larvik without Mork would be a lot weaker.I don't have much to say since I don't like neither of them in a special way, pretty unbalanced performances.

Gyor vs FTC

So Hungary will have a Final4 team for sure.I think Gyor is favorite but anything can happen since they know one another very well from their National League.

Rostov Don vs CSM București

In my opinion Rostov was soooo lucky. In Main round they only faced 1 quarterfinalist: FTC :!: They won by 2 goals at home and tied in Budapest. In group stage they faced a nervous HCM (won by 2 and 1 goal) and a shaky Larvik. Lucky or not? I don't know what they would have done in the second group..CSM (with a seriously disoriented team) had decent games in front of Buducnost and Gyor. So with Line Jorgensen back on court, having a month to prepare the tactics and the players to bond, I really put my hopes we can end Rostov's luck and fight for the Final4. I'd still be proud they reached the quarters in their first CL year, but I feel they can do more and if they work together they will get there :)

Marco Aurelio
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Marco Aurelio » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:26 am

dydiana wrote:Buducnost vs HCM Baia Mare

I don't want to make high hopes, but I do think HCM will fight with their hearts for this..Buducnost is Buducnost and I have a soft spot for them. They are playing all together for at least 2 years so they know eachother very well,which helps a lot.They have that "fighter" attitude, they mostly have the perfect defense and an attack who every other team fears.Sometimes they have bad days and weaker games,but that doesn't happen very often at all so I don't think it will in the quarters..they had the ease to do this in Main round,but this is the real deal and they can't lose,as much as I wish for my team to win.
Buducnost will have Lazovic back who is helpful in defense and also Radmila will return,I think..we don't have Geiger,but I don't see that as a fatal minus.We have a weak coach but the girls will pull it off on their own anyway :)

80-20 for Podgorica. The Romanians have a good team, but their "back power" won't be enough against the compact Buducnost wall. + Zderic can neutralize their wingers very well. The only real danger can be Ungureanu.

dydiana wrote: Larvik vs Vardar

To me neither of them were consistent in Main round to start as favorite. Even though Vardar visibly changed and improved in the last games,they can't go by finalists for sure.It's pretty even both ways,Larvik without Mork would be a lot weaker.I don't have much to say since I don't like neither of them in a special way, pretty unbalanced performances.

70-30 for Vardar. They have to play the 2nd leg away, but I guess they will win both matches.

dydiana wrote: Gyor vs FTC

So Hungary will have a Final4 team for sure.I think Gyor is favorite but anything can happen since they know one another very well from their National League.

Győr has a slim squad, that's FTC's only chance + a refereeing that allows more roughness. Szekeres and Mészáros are both a bit slow footed nowadays + Szucsánszki's play is way weaker than before playing with injured shoulder. ETO has a good, solid defense, the players got used to each others positioning very well, and Grimsbö simply rules, brilliant saves, brilliant passes. I expect abot 15 fastbreak goals in the FTC net/match.
In my book, it's 75-25 for ETO.

dydiana wrote: Rostov Don vs CSM București

In my opinion Rostov was soooo lucky. In Main round they only faced 1 quarterfinalist: FTC :!: They won by 2 goals at home and tied in Budapest. In group stage they faced a nervous HCM (won by 2 and 1 goal) and a shaky Larvik. Lucky or not? I don't know what they would have done in the second group..CSM (with a seriously disoriented team) had decent games in front of Buducnost and Gyor. So with Line Jorgensen back on court, having a month to prepare the tactics and the players to bond, I really put my hopes we can end Rostov's luck and fight for the Final4. I'd still be proud they reached the quarters in their first CL year, but I feel they can do more and if they work together they will get there :)

I'd say today it is 70-30 for Rostov, but having Jörgensen back can change things.

Danie

Postby Danie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Budućnost v HCM 90%-10%
Larvik v Vardar 50%-50%
Győr v FTC 55%-45%
Rostov v CSM 75%-25%

Budućnost v HCM
Although HCM improved a lot in 2016, they are simply no match for the mighty Budućnost. :(

Larvik v Vardar
Two games to watch and enjoy. Probably the most balanced quarter. The fearless Norwegians versus the wealth of skill and passion from Skopje. At the first glance I thought the Macedonians have a tad of an edge over the Mørk's unit, but Larvik seems to enjoy a depth of quality players and mental strength that allows them to bounce back from pretty much any kind of loose ends. Mouthwatering games in perspective.

Győr v FTC
The green derby/quarterfinal. Győr is the better team, but Fradi girls are able to make up for their minuses through passion and their irreducible fans. And they have done it before (v ETO)... sometimes quite in style. We all noticed that Elek's team is (much) weaker in the away games, but this one shall be a different sort of "away": still in Hungary, at one hour away by car and probably after a telling win in the Budapest game. Pretty interesting...

Rostov v CSM
I wish it was different, but it isn't (the 75%-25%). Rostov are enjoying a strong momentum, built on through the whole season, whereas CSM got so erratic since the beginning of the year. Yes, Line might be back to give a hand (her left one, of course), but I don't think she is going to be 100% fit and 100% at the level of before she got injured. It would take a miracle to see CSM through.
Last edited by Danie on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jensm
Handball Fan-atic

Postby jensm » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:57 pm

Buducnost
Gyor
Larvik
Rostov
....... Goes to Budapest 8:)
Larvik and Rostov will have the toughest matches.

bajkalb
Extra Member

Postby bajkalb » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Budućnost vs HCM Baia Mare 95% - 5%
Larvik vs Vardar 40%-60%
Győr vs FTC 75%-25%
Rostov Don vs CSM București 75%-25%

BUD-HCM:
Well, It could be 100%-0% as well, but there could be miracles. I mean, it's women handball

Larvik - Vardar:
No question, Vardar is better, but Larvik is usually unexpectable, which could be their chance

Győr - FTC:
FTC played with Győr several times. The last time was in Autumn. However, this Győr is not that Győr.

Rostov - CSM:
CSM is a disappointment to me. They're a bunch of individuals, and Jörgensen won't help. Rostov is a better team

Gojira
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Gojira » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:37 pm

Buducnost, Vardar, FTC and Rostov. We still have time to reclaim our form shown in the autumn. I mean we played so bad at times, that better games must follow.

OltchimRmValcea
Extra Member

Postby OltchimRmValcea » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Gojira wrote:Buducnost, Vardar, FTC and Rostov. We still have time to reclaim our form shown in the autumn. I mean we played so bad at times, that better games must follow.

Yeah, autumn, when you played against new team of Gyor or weak teams like Thuringer, Fleury or Podravka :roll:
When you faced better teams like Rostov, Larvik and Baia Mare your form turned down.

Gyor will simply destroy FTC in second game. But in first game I think your team could win. Barely.
L. Hutupan-Dinu, V. Ardean-Elisei, Cristina Neagu, O. Manea, I. Stanca, M. Jovanovic, Y. Ozel, R. Maier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyKvP63kFHw

Gojira
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Gojira » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:59 pm

OltchimRmValcea wrote:
Gojira wrote:Buducnost, Vardar, FTC and Rostov. We still have time to reclaim our form shown in the autumn. I mean we played so bad at times, that better games must follow.

Yeah, autumn, when you played against new team of Gyor or weak teams like Thuringer, Fleury or Podravka :roll:
When you faced better teams like Rostov, Larvik and Baia Mare your form turned down.

Gyor will simply destroy FTC in second game. But in first game I think your team could win. Barely.

I seem to remember that we beat Baia Mare and Larvik too. In case you missed those games you can watch them on the EHF webpage.

OltchimRmValcea
Extra Member

Postby OltchimRmValcea » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:02 pm

At home, yes.

I also remember you that FTC won only 2 times away: in Thuringer and Koprivnica.
Not to mention the way they lost in Larvik and Baia Mare.

They didn't prove they are a real contender for Final Four so far.
L. Hutupan-Dinu, V. Ardean-Elisei, Cristina Neagu, O. Manea, I. Stanca, M. Jovanovic, Y. Ozel, R. Maier.

Gojira
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Gojira » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:14 pm

OltchimRmValcea wrote:At home, yes.

I also remember you that FTC won only 2 times away: in Thuringer and Koprivnica.

Yes, that is true. Still I will not expect defeat no matter who is the opponent.

Marco Aurelio
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Marco Aurelio » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:23 pm

OltchimRmValcea wrote:At home, yes.

They are lucky anyway, only have to travel to Győr, and they have good memories about the Audi Arena.
+ F4 would be practically home soil.

You only have to be sharp when it really matters. Vardar is a good example for that.

OltchimRmValcea
Extra Member

Postby OltchimRmValcea » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:36 pm

^ Yes, this is their luck and mentains their hopes high , Audi Arena is familiar to FTC. As you and @Danie said, they won't play a real "away" game, where FTC was awful during whole season. But still I am very confident nowadays Gyor is too strong for them.

will4104

Postby will4104 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:They are lucky anyway, only have to travel to Győr, and they have good memories about the Audi Arena.

What about the game at the 26th of March in Györ? A week before the first leg of the QF? I can hardly imagine what kind of "good memories" FTC will have after that game.

gergő
Handball Fan-atic

Postby gergő » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:35 pm

will4104 wrote:
Marco Aurelio wrote:They are lucky anyway, only have to travel to Győr, and they have good memories about the Audi Arena.

What about the game at the 26th of March in Györ? A week before the first leg of the QF? I can hardly imagine what kind of "good memories" FTC will have after that game.

guess that will be a totally "useless" match between them. the first 2 spot almost already secured for the playoff.
some kind of prestige for eto because it will be in győr, but nothing more.

SilentOne
Extra Member

Postby SilentOne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Buducnost - HCM

Expect two wins from Bud, they will solve everything in the first away game already

Vardar - Larvik

From what I saw in MR this Larvik is not impressive at all, hence I also expect here two wins from Vardar

Gyor - FTC

As much as I like FTC, still I think over two matches Gyor are stronger and should advance with a big fight.

Rostov - CE SE ME

As someone said here, there is always one surprise so here it is.. I predict a very bad game of Rostov in Bucarest and a big win from CE SE ME which will bring them to their first F4 similar to Vardar in their first season.

Maestral
Regular

Postby Maestral » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 pm

BUD-HCM 70-30
VAR-LAR 60-40
GYO-FTC 60-40
CSM-ROS 51-49

Kpax
Regular

Postby Kpax » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 pm

As the last season, HCM came to Main Round with..zero, and still, made it to 1/4. So, now, it doesn't make any difference that HCM will face Budocnost. Its a bonus for HCM. Obviously, Buduc is the HUGE favourite. And with the unpredictability of the economic situation in Baia Mare, fans of HCM should live the CARPE DIEM quote.

If Vardar will make it to the final 4, I have a feeling that this is the right moment to win it all. And will the players already signed for next season, Vardar will become an even better team in the next years. As for larvik, this might be the swan song...at least for few years they will be just a memory of what used to be. With Danish teams being a joke over the last years(Romanian teams kicked Danish team heavely over the last 3 seasons) and with the fall of Larvik....the scandinavian female handball is in a difficult situation.

the thiefs from European federation will be happy that at least one team from hungary will make it to the final4. Gyor is the better team, by far. But, anyone can have a bad day and if ftc gets a 4-5 win in the 1st leg, it would be interesting the return match.

for Rostov will be a major disappointment if after all this CL results they will not make it to the final4. Csm has a good team, but its too unpredictable when it matters the most.It can beat the best, it can lose badly. As usual, gk will be major factor. Fans of the both team wont be. :-"

Mr. 007
Men's WC 2011 Fantasy game winner

Postby Mr. 007 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Budućnost v HCM -There will be a surprise this round...could it really be Baia Mare??? Guess I must watch this just in case :)

Larvik v Vardar -Linka will be back!
Missed her so much, and perfect timing as well :)
Larvik will make it after a close thriller :)

Győr v FTC -wide open? Nah, Gyor moves on to f4.

CSM v Rostov -Rostov is a huge surprise, and yes, they deserve the credit they have got so far but they have also been lucky ofc. Guess they move on :)

gergő
Handball Fan-atic

Postby gergő » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:26 pm

and what about wojtas? she has been injured for a year now. :shock:

Return to “Female Handball”