Handball scouts

Talking about FEMALE handball in the World
SilentOne
Extra Member

Handball scouts

Postby SilentOne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey guys, I opened this topic here because its the most active part of the forum.

Probably you all saw the recent statement published by EHF where they inform about the partnership EHF signed with Sportradar, a Swiss company which collects live match data & statistics and sells it to betting companies.
This statement was followed by a call for people to apply and become handball scouts for their local teams playing in the EHF competitions.

I was wondering if any of you already applied to become handball scout, maybe you can share here your experiences?
What I can say is that I already applied and managed to pass all the training so in the new season I will be watching the games from a different perspective :-)

Please feel free to move the topic to other part of the forum if you feel it is necessary.

Synchrony

Re: Handball scouts

Postby Synchrony » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:13 am

Care to share a little more details like what's your job going to be and what your training consisted of? I was thinking about applying myself but I changed my mind at the last minute. :)

SilentOne
Extra Member

Postby SilentOne » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:02 am

You sit with the other journalists which cover the match, have a laptop and a special platform / application installed on it where you should enter quicky everything what happens on the pitch.

This data is directy sent to all world online betting companies and their betting customers will place bets based on your data. You also have a special button to open and close the betting market so you are the most responsible person in this chain. The job itself is not easy because handball is a dynamic sport and lot can happen in few sec but that is why there is extensive training.

In the training section you first read lots of PDF documents about game rules and how the app works. Then next section is you make online test, a lot of questions you need to answer correctly. If you do that well final test is you get a random game from german bundesliga, download it and you have to watch it and enter the game events as they happen. After that your work is evaluated and if you dont have many mistakes you pass the training and have a skype interview.

Its a real job, responsibility is huge because you cant make mistakes otherwise someone will lose money, but then you are getting paid all your costs plus a nice fee for every game you cover :-)

Bo$ko
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Bo$ko » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:38 am

Do you enter the game details from your phone or laptop?
What is the topic of Skype interview?
How much is the salary per game?
:D

omak
Extra Member

Postby omak » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 am

Bo$ko wrote:Do you enter the game details from your phone or laptop?
What is the topic of Skype interview?
How much is the salary per game?
:D

I once considered this job and I was talking to a friend who worked in the Slovenian subsidiary of Sportradar. At the time, you got a company laptop where you would enter all data. Might I add that this is very detailed data, so you have to be really concentrated and be very careful!
Given the salaries, at least in Slovenia, Sportradar is known as having low salaries for low-level positions. I once got an offer for a job as a programmer/support/configuration manager and the salary was set to 1000€ gross (cca. 900€ net). This is below average for Slovenian standards. :)

I will not atest to the salary you get for this specific job, but I think it will be similar.

Bo$ko
Handball Fan-atic

Postby Bo$ko » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 am

omak wrote:I will not atest to the salary you get for this specific job, but I think it will be similar.

As I understood they will pay per game, so it's not a regular job. Also you don't get anything from them, but using your laptop or phone. We will see what SilentOne will tell us... :D

SilentOne
Extra Member

Postby SilentOne » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am

this is not a regular job, it's part time and you are paid per game. so the more you work, the higher you will earn.

They pay you all transport costs (fuel 10l per 100km) parking fee, toll fee, entrance tickets (in my case they will provide a seasonal press pass which will allow free entrance to all games) and depending on each country the pay per game is different. in our case is 50 EUR per match, however in Germany I know they pay more.

You have to use your own laptop and usually the host team will provide you with internet access to be able to do your job. however if you need to use your mobile phone as wifi hotspot they will cover those costs as well.

As omak said, you enter very detailed data so the job itself is not easy but its very interesting cause you are paid for watching handball :)

after certain number of covered games, you get entitled to go on European or world championships where they pay 120 eur per game plus hotel and all other costs. Also then you are entitled to cover games from home watching them on TV only.

omak
Extra Member

Postby omak » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Bo$ko wrote:
omak wrote:I will not atest to the salary you get for this specific job, but I think it will be similar.

As I understood they will pay per game, so it's not a regular job. Also you don't get anything from them, but using your laptop or phone. We will see what SilentOne will tell us... :D

Yes, the pay is per game.
However, what I meant was that it will not be a huge amount of money that the person will get. Probably it depends on the country as well. :)

Return to “Female Handball”